Wednesday 1 January 2014

WRITE a PAGE - Day 1

On New Year's Eve 2013 (yesterday), I came across a photo whose intention is to motivate people to write. Here it is.
So my new blog series is "WRITE a PAGE - Day #" with the # being the day of the year. A challenge to say the least. An impossibility if you know my track record with New Year's resolutions. Lose weight, finish my degree, keep a diary, write a book, take up a new hobby, finish an old hobby. Etcetera etcetera.

I've lost weight, gained it back, taken a course or two but not always toward the completion of a degree, kept a diary for a week or so then conveniently lost my pen. The list goes on. About the only thing I have managed to do over the years, consistently, is work toward writing a book. I have several manuscripts, okay partial manuscripts, but I have never failed to have a plan for completion of the ever elusive book.

My motivation seems not to have waned over the years so what is holding me back? I suspect a few things. First, there are only 24 hours in a day. This will never change so long as we observe a calendar and use watches to signal the beginning and end of things...like days. Second, my body needs sleep. Again this is something that will never change. I can, however, alter the number of hours that my body lays at rest but I tend to follow Newton's first law of motion, which is a body at rest tends to stay at rest. Once my body rests, it rests for an indeterminate amount of time. Or until my alarm goes off, signalling the start of a new day and then that 24 hour thing kicks in again.

Thirdly, and finally, I don't like being told what to do. I mean, who does? And so, even if I am the one telling me what to do, I defy me and in so defying me, I am victorious over that force which is trying to make me do the things I don't want to do. But wait, I want to write. So if I tell myself to write and this is the one thing I desire to do with my time, then why do I rebel against myself? Okay, I think I have just discovered a rift in the space-time continuum. 

I'm going to have to work on this. I can't tell myself what to do because I won't do it. Nobody else can tell me what to do because I won't do it. So how the hell do I do anything? Maybe if I start with a little blog and write something down every day. Just a little thing, like a thought or an idea. Like an idea for a book!! By jove, I think I've got it. One day at a time, one step at a time, one word at a time.

And so, I present my first page of 2014. Okay, so if you got to this point you've already read it. Thank you for reading my first page of 2014. Have a great year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment