Friday 20 February 2015

The Lent Diary - Feb 20

They say when you lose a parent you come face to face with your own mortality. I don't think that's true presuming you lose your parent when they are older and have lived a full life. My father died three years ago, he was 86 and was suffering from emphysema. He wanted to go and it was a relief, in a way, that once he was gone he was no longer suffering. His passing didn't make me think of my own impending death. It just made me sad.

Over the Christmas break, my cat died. He was not particularly old, for a cat, but he was sick and even though he was sick, he purred whenever he slept in my lap. He had a great attitude. I held him when he died and I miss him terribly now. But he was a cat and no, I don't think of my own death when I ponder his passing.

Recently a three year old left his grandmother's house and froze to death in the middle of the night. It was a tragedy, no doubt, and my heart aches thinking of what his family is going through right now. I didn't relate it to myself and my own death at all. No reason to.

I have an aunt who is going to turn 100 this year. When she passes, one assumes sometime in the next decade of her life, she should be celebrated. How can you not celebrate a person who lives so long? I'm half her age so again, when she goes, it won't make me think of my own death. If I've inherited her genes, my biggest problem will be making sure to load up my retirement fund, not worry about how I'm going to die.

Death is all around us and I'm not sure there is any value in pondering your own mortality.

Right now I'm concerned with how I'm living.

No comments:

Post a Comment