Tuesday 24 February 2015

The Lent Diary - Feb 24

Today is a day of contradictions. The good and bad (or at least the uncomfortable) are living side by side today.

It's "Orange Day" at work. A made-up day where everyone is encouraged to wear orange and have a bit of fun with it. I have a bright orange tee shirt to wear so it'll be fun to stand alongside my work mates and get our picture taken and posted on the wall of fame.

It's also the last day for a colleague who is having knee surgery tomorrow so while we will have a bit of orange fun today, I'll be worried about her and keeping good thoughts in my head on her behalf so the universe might smile on her when she needs it most.

I am also proud to spend time at my lunch hour today with a good friend who just announced she is going to be a grandmother. First one for her and I couldn't be more excited for her.

The lunch hour gathering, though, is for the funeral of another friend's mother. She's been looking after her ailing mother for quite a long time and this loss will be bittersweet for her. I've no doubt she will feel a sense of relief for her mother's sake not to be suffering any longer but of course the pain of losing a parent will linger for some time. Forever, possibly.

My own mother used to say that you have to take the good with the bad. Words she doesn't live by herself but still wise words nonetheless. I'm sure she meant it as advice to get through days like this, when the world seems to be pushing us toward a kind of emotional equilibrium. It'll be a day to smile and to worry, to be joyful and to mourn. And perhaps the joy will be a bit diminished but so too will the sadness be tempered and maybe that's just exactly how we're supposed to get through life.

So go out there and enjoy your day but if something happens to put a damper on it, keep in mind that while the good could have been better, the bad somehow wasn't as bad as it could have been. And that's okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment